Artisans jewelers, jewelers and designers of handmade jewelry carry out the wax casting for the manufacture of an original model. To make an original and quality mold, they can use a liquid silicone during the process. This makes it possible to create jewelery in the desired shapes and which also meet customer expectations. Metaconcept is one of the various suppliers of liquid silicone for molding.
Usefulness of liquid silicone for molding
Lost wax casting is one of the most widely used metal casting techniques today. It is also the oldest technique, the latter dating back 6,000 years. Lost wax casting is used in various sectors for the creation of precision metal parts (gold, silver, copper, bronze, etc.).
For artisan jewelers, jewelers and designers of handmade jewelry, the technique makes it possible to manufacture and reproduce various types of jewelry in different shapes and styles: earrings, wedding rings, rings, bracelets, etc.
The liquid silicone for molding is one of the essential elements for the realization of molds, within the framework of the lost wax technique. It is a material made up mainly of translucent elastomer. It allows you to create a mold and pour the molten metal to obtain the desired shape of jewelry or small metal parts.
The liquid silicone for molding is made of translucent elastomer with a hardness of 45 shores. It makes it possible to create transparent molds thanks to its composition consisting of a polymerization agent (B) and a base agent (A). Compared to other materials, liquid silicone makes it possible to quickly obtain molds of all sizes thanks to rapid hardening. It ensures a faster polymerization time of 60 min. The liquid silicone mold is strong and resistant. It is not likely to shrink as it is used, which guarantees the similarity of the models reproduced between them.
Compared to other molding solutions, liquid silicone has a number of advantages:
- easier to use: it is easier and faster to create a mold from liquid silicone;
- time saving: the silicone guarantees a fast polymerization time, in just 60 minutes;
- suitable for all uses: silicone allows the creation of various mold shapes and sizes, ranging from the simplest to the most complex.
Application steps of liquid silicone for molding
Use a model with a cast iron jet and an injection cone. The fixing of the model to the frame is done at the level of the injection cone. To make the molding, you need a number of elements, such as:
- a large mixing container;
- a spatula ;
- a scale ;
- a frame ;
- a model ;
- a vacuum bell.
To make a mold from liquid silicone for molding, here are the steps to follow:
- Calculate the amount of silicone needed, depending on the size of the desired mold.
- Mix base resin and catalyst using the spatula.
- Remove the gas in the mixture using a vacuum bell jar. Maintain the vacuum for 1 min.
- Pour the mixture into the frame. Properly cover the model.
- Degas again for 2-3 minutes.
- Wait for the polymerization (hardening): it lasts between 60 and 90 minutes approximately.
MAXMATIC by Metaconcept, a company at the forefront of innovation in the global jewelry sector
For the creation of your molds and the molding of your various metals, opt for MAXMATIC by Metaconcept products. This company at the forefront of innovation in the field of global jewelery offers you MAXMATIC liquid silicone for molding, which allows you to quickly manufacture quality molds that meet your customers’ expectations. For more information about the product, do not hesitate to contact us.